Wednesday, January 11, 2012

did I mention cooking and baking?

Well, since I have had questions about some recipes before, I thought I'd let you in on a few of them.  Sadly I cannot take full credit for the granola, as I used one from Amanda Soule's beautiful blog, soulemama.  I do make some changes to it though, using only coconut oil and adding shredded coconut into the mix.  Also, if I don't have an ingredient on hand I'll happily use another, sometimes adding nuts.  I'd love to try adding dried fruit to this one, but I'd be on my own eating it in this family, and what is the fun in that?  Another change is that I bake it until it's "dark golden", as I like it crunchy and roasted.

Now the soup, on the other hand, I cannot give a source for, as my emailed copy is dated 2003 and indicates at least 3 forwards.  Popular little brew, indeed.  In fact, what I love about this soup is that my children will eat it until they are stuffed.  It is quite sweet and contains a small amount of wine, which you can omit or cook off.  I cook it with the wine and my children seem to tolerate it just fine.  So here is what I do:

Take a medium butternut squash and 4-5 small sweet potatoes and roast them in the oven until done.  I usually cut the squash in half, scrape out the seeds and roast it cut side down with a little water and covered up.  Since there are a number of steps in this recipe, I often do this a day or two ahead of time.  Another alternative is to peel and dice the vegetables and cook them in vegetable broth with a cinnamon stick and some salt.

When you are ready to make the soup, take 2 medium onions and slice them thinly.  Cook them in butter until they begin to caramelize.  While cooking the onions, peel and slice 3-5 pears thinly, then add them to the onion.  Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.  Next, pour in about 1/3 cup of white wine, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. 

While the pear mixture is cooking, heat 4-6 cups of vegetable broth, add a cinnamon stick and the squash and sweet potato.  Then add the pears and onions and puree everything.  Add salt to taste and some cream and pepper.  Serve hot and enjoy!

soup, salad and some mini-quiche means no hungry children tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment