Wednesday, April 18, 2012

away, away

This spring has been surprisingly busy with all kinds of travels.  Right now I'm actually home alone as the children have chosen to visit friends and relatives over the spring break, and the Most Saintly Husband has gone to retrieve one of them.

A little while ago I had the rare and wonderful opportunity to take a mid-week break with a friend.  I have always wanted to visit Portland, Maine.  What a fun, lovely place!







































I have not been near open water in so long, and I must have really longed for it.  No matter where we were or what we did, we'd invariably end up somewhere near the water.



The West End is nice too, but after walking around there, I wanted to go back here:





It was fun to walk down the cobblestone streets, dart in and out of interesting shops, eat great food and then go back to the water to breathe in the salty air.  So invigorating!

On our way home, we stopped for a walk along the beach:





























The first glimpse of the ocean never fails to take my breath away.































I didn't see many shells on the beach, but lots and lots of beautiful, sandwashed rocks.































The marshes are beautiful, too:



What a lovely break.  Just enough to get a taste and know that I will be back sometime.

Where have your travels taken you lately? 

No comments:

Post a Comment