Tuesday, September 20, 2011

sometimes you are greatful for the things that did not happen

We almost had a bit of a situation yesterday.

taken through the bathroom window screen

I was sitting in my studio when my husband came in and asked if I was okay.  The smell of burning plastic hit me immediately, and half the house was filled with smoke.  But we could find no fire anywhere, and with the windows thrown open the smoke soon dissipated.  We looked in every room, closet, appliance and corner we could think of, and - nothing.  So finally we decided to call the fire department.  It turns out that if you want someone to pick up the phone, you really do have to call 911.

From the time the call was made, it took exactly 5 minutes to this:

intentional blur!

Eventually the culprit was found:

baseboard heater with a burned-out motor

Luckily, the electricity switched off right away and no bigger fire ensued.  So slowly, the driveway emptied and all was quiet again.

Except my heart.  That overflowed with gratitude for all the blessings we receive all the time, and which we're often too busy to notice.  It beat, first fast, then slower:  thank you....Thank You...THANK YOU.

P.S.: the Windex bottle is filled with vinegar, water and dishsoap, just in case you were wondering.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, glad you're ok. Who puts a baseboard heater under a cabinet?